16 Nov Great Tips on Salvaging Furniture after a Water Damage Incident
Flooding can lead to a stressful and messy situation that is not something we would want for anyone. It is time-consuming and can cause damage to your furniture, appliances, and personal belongings.
It can be difficult to identify what furniture is salvageable or not when you are trying to sort through the damage. These are some ways you can salvage your household furniture.
It depends on what type of furniture you have, the extent of flooding and whether furniture can be saved. Solid wood furniture is more resilient than upholstered and particle board furniture.
Water damage restoration should be left to Long Beach water restoration experts. Here are some things to consider if your furniture is damaged by a flood.
- It is crucial to act quickly , inspect your home and contents as soon as you can . The greater the damage, the longer it takes to recover from a flood. Your safety is paramount. Make sure you are safe before you attempt to tackle water damage by yourself. You should be aware of any damaged walls or ceilings, as they could collapse or fall in. Also make sure that no water has electricity access (the two are not compatible).
- Take photos of any damaged items before you do anything. They will be helpful in filing an insurance claim. Consider the extent of the damage, sentimental value, and cost of restoration when deciding what items to save.
- To speed up the drying process, it is a good idea to move any salvageable furniture to an area that is dry. To protect a heavy piece from wet floors, you can place wood or cement blocks under its legs.
- Sometimes, upholstery furniture can be saved if it was in direct contact with a little bit of water after flooding. To prevent mildew or mold growth, dry the furniture completely.
- Floodwater can cause damage to upholstery, so it is not worth saving. Professional restoration services are available in Long Beach, CA if you want to restore heavily stained upholstered furniture. They are equipped with the necessary tools and training to clean upholstery.
- Solid wood furniture is stronger and more durable than other types of furniture. The first step is to clean the furniture from dirt and mildew. Next, dry it completely and glue any damaged areas. Do not attempt to forcefully open or close doors or drawers that are swollen. Air should be allowed to circulate so that the wood dries completely.
- Wood furniture should be dried using fans and in a well-ventilated place. Furniture shouldn’t be exposed to sunlight as this can cause wood cracking or warping.