28 Dec TIPS ON WHAT TO DO AFTER WATER DAMAGE HAPPENS IN YOUR HOME
What do you do if your home is damaged by water? These are the most important things that you need to know. It is important to act as quickly as possible. If in doubt, do not enter the area flooded until you have been told by a Long Beach Water Damage Restoration Company that it is safe.
These are the steps you need to dry out and clean your home.
Start by opening your windows and doors to let in fresh air.
Wear a mask to guard yourself against potential mold, mildew, and other allergens.
– Disconnect power and unplug electronics immediately.
– Get rid of as much water possible. To absorb as much water as you can, use old towels, buckets, and mops.
Dry the area. After you have removed all water, dry the area with fans or a humidifier.
– Cleanse. Once the area is dry, including any wood beams, insulation or drywall, you can use a disinfectant to kill any bacteria that may have gotten in through toilets and sewers.
- Remove damaged items. It’s tempting to just throw everything in a dumpster and call that ok. You can help reduce the pressure at your local landfill by organizing damaged goods into piles.
Be aware of these dangers:
- Gas leaks– If you smell gas, get out of your home immediately and contact your utility company.
- Chemicals When you reach the cleaning stage, make sure you ventilate well and minimize your contact with and exposure as much as possible. Cleaning can expose you to many contaminants, including those from cleaning agents or floodwaters.
- Electrical shock – There is a real danger of electric shock in a wet basement. Avoid using outlets that have been affected.
- Sewage Pollutants — Sewage can contain bacteria and transmit diseases. Raw sewage may be present in floodwaters. Protective items such as gloves, safety glasses, and a mask should always be worn. After contacting sewage or any items contaminated by it, wash thoroughly.